Research to the voice of the customer
Q8 Oils has ambitious growth targets for the upcoming years. In order to focus on the real opportunities in the market, they wanted to map the value drivers for their specific product segments and gather insights in both their performance and the gap with the competition.
Q8 Oils therefore wanted to organize an extensive customer research for its international finished lubricants market. The main goal of this research is to gain in-depth insights in:
- Needs and expectations of customers regarding a lubricant supplier.
- The perceived value of the current defined ‘value Propositions.
- Country specific requirements across Europe.
- Benchmark with competition. Potential customer segments based on customer needs.
These insights will help Q8 Oils to adjust and fine-tune its current service offering to fulfill the customer’s needs.
The project was divided in three distinct phases.
The goal of this phase was to identify a broad range of customer needs, expectations, comments, etc. It is crucial in this phase to ‘miss out on nothing’, as the outcome of the interviews will be the valuable input for the quantitative phase.
To capture all this important information Möbius has developed a structured approach on conducting and reporting diagnostic interviews. The ‘structural’ nature of these interviews is crucial to the outcome, especially in researches where different interviewers operate.
41 customer interviews were conducted all over Europe by experienced Möbius consultants who are used to talk and work with customers on higher management levels. All of the consultants also very well understand the international B2B world.
The purpose of this phase was the confirmation, justification and quantification of the findings from the interviews. Therefore, Möbius had set up a large quantitative research by means of complex multi-lingual web surveys to measure specific customer demands and allow benchmarking.
Möbius has strong expertise in creating comprehensive surveys that maximize both the relevant data output (number of questions) and the response rate of customers (user-friendly). In total there was a response of >15% of the entire Q8 Oils Lubricants customer base, which allowed to safely conduct statistical analyses and offer significant conclusions.
All of the survey follow-up and closure of the survey was done by Mobius.
All relevant data was profoundly analyzed for basic (descriptive) statistical analysis. Analysis were presented in clear, visual graphs with conclusions and recommendations. As a last step to make sure results were embedded within the organization, Möbius organized workshops with the corporate management in order to translate the framework into an action plan.
Collaboration with Möbius has led to the following concrete deliverables:
- A tangible and proven value driver framework per segment was developed, which showed Q8 Oils the most important service elements and requirement for each segment.
- For all high impact value drivers, current performance and the gap with the competition was mapped. This allowed Q8 Oils to identify ‘hotspots’ where performance should be improved.
- The customer requirements were differentiated per country which resulted in qualified insights for each country.
- An integrated action plan was developed to ensure results were thoroughly communicated and embedded within the organization. It also helped Q8 Oils to translate results in concrete actions.
Together with Möbius we have identified the needs of our customers and given them a voice.